Wednesday, September 21, 2016

If you see something say something

The department of Homeland security has a great campaign which encourages citizens and security professionals to help law enforcement identify suspicious activity. Since the recent events in the news I wanted to highlight some of the things you can do as a private citizen to help law enforcement identify suspicious activity. An alert private citizen could be the difference in preventing a terrorist attack.  We would to thank our local and federal law enforcement professionals in the quick resolution to the recent attack here in NJ and NY.

When you are traveling shopping, driving round town or conducting your daily activities you have to be vigilant. The smallest thing could be very significant in preventing an attack. A few examples are any unusual items left unattended such as bags, backpacks, suitcase or boxes should be reported, a vehicle parked in a no parking area close to a building unattended for a period of time.  A person displaying odd behavior such as questioning individuals about the operations or the security of a complex should be brought to the attention of your local law enforcement professionals.  A person loitering around a certain area or prolonged observation of a building especially if they use a smartphone or binoculars to record information about the building this activity must be reported immediately to your local law enforcement. Please remember race, ethnicity, religious affiliation are not suspicious activity.

The safety of our nation falls on everyone working together and communicating with each other. So you need to communicate some vital information when you call first who and what you saw, where did you see it, when did it happen and lastly what made you feel uncomfortable about what you saw, what was the unusual activity?  When you are making a notification on any type of suspicious activity do not use email, text message you need to call in the information. Any type of fire or medical emergency you must call 911 know the difference.  Should you have any questions please contact your local law enforcement of visit the Homeland security website at

I hope this post was helpful as always please leave a comment

Mark Carvajal 

No comments:

Post a Comment